Where can appeal be filed in a compoundable summons trial case?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Where can appeal be filed in a compoundable summons trial case?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 6 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #4917


    Against the decision of the court in a compoundable summons trial case, in which court can appeal be filed?

  • #4922

    This is what is laid down in Section 2 of the Criminal Procedure Code:

    “(w) “summons case” means a case relating to an offence, and not being a warrant case;”

    “(x) “warrant case” means a case relating to an offence punishable with death, imprisonment for life or imprisonment for a term exceeding two years;”

    A combined reading of the above two definitions shows that a summons case means a case relating to an offence where the imprisonment is less than or up to two years. These are comparatively minor offences.

    Trial of summons cases is conducted under Chapter 20 of the Cr.P.C. (Sections 251 to 259). This trial is conducted by Magistrates.

    Now, as per the provisions of Section 374 of the Cr.P.C., an appeal against the decision of the Magistrate in a trial can be filed in the Sessions Court.

    Therefore, appeal in a summons trial case can be filed before the Sessions Court, irrespective of whether or not such offence is a compoundable offence.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

Limitation for appeal in High Court against acquittal of accused by Sessions Court?
Where to appeal against acquittal of accused in cheque bounce case?
Court Consent decree - appeal after long delay for wrong name of father
Consumer complaint case for faulty mobile phone goes against me

Facebook Comments

[Note: For a free legal question with your Facebook login, click here.]