Can jurisdiction be transferred in a consumer case to my home place?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Consumer Laws Can jurisdiction be transferred in a consumer case to my home place?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      V S

I had underwent a corneal transplant in my left eye in 2013 in bangalore on my surgeon’s advice & assurance that my eye post surgery will be 1k times better than what it was before surgery.I was assured that I shall be provided medical assistance post surgery over phone or email whenever needed howsoever far I may be from the hospital.But post surgery my eye did not improve as assured by my doctor.It became smaller in size besides other problems.But I could not sue them in a consumer court for misrepresentation & negligence as I could file a complaint against them only in Bangalore as the hospital does not have any branch in my place, Itanagar. Can Jurisdiction be somehow transferred to my place on a ground that it would be immense physical, mental & financial hardship for me to fight case against the hospital in Bangalore? please, do suggest. If somehow I can sue them in my place, I am sure I will win the case.

Section 34(2) of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019, allows filing of a consumer complaint in the area where the complainant resides or personally works for gain:

“(2) A complaint shall be instituted in a District Commission within the local limits of whose jurisdiction,—

(a) the opposite party or each of the opposite parties, where there are more than one, at the time of the institution of the complaint, ordinarily resides or carries on business or has a branch office or personally works for gain; or

(b) any of the opposite parties, where there are more than one, at the time of the institution of the complaint, actually and voluntarily resides, or carries on business or has a branch office, or personally works for gain, provided that in such case the permission of the District Commission is given; or

(c) the cause of action, wholly or in part, arises; or

(d) the complainant resides or personally works for gain.”

Therefore, it should be possible for you to file a new consumer complaint at the place where you reside.

Moreover, Section 62 of the said Act empowers the National Commission to transfer a case from one District Commission to another, even outside the state:

62. Transfer of cases.—On the application of the complainant or of its own motion, the National Commission may, at any stage of the proceeding, in the interest of justice, transfer any complaint pending before the District Commission of one State to a District Commission of another State or before one State Commission to another State Commission.”

So, this provision can be used for transfer of a pending case, if any.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Consumer Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.