Family Pension – will standard deduction under Salary be separately available?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Taxation Laws Family Pension – will standard deduction under Salary be separately available?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Family pension is required to be included under ‘Income from Other sources” in the ITR. In such a case , will the standard deduction of Rs 50,000/ (normally available under “salaries”) be also available in addition to the deduction under sec 57(ii-a) ?

As explained by me in my answer Is Income Tax payable on Family Pension received by a widow, “family pension” is taxed under Section 56 as “Income from Other Sources”. This is different from the “Salary” head.

In view of the provisions of Section 57(iia) of the Income Tax Act, in respect of income due to “family pension”, a deduction of a sum equal to thirty-three and one-third per cent of such income (i.e., one-third of such income) or Rs. 15000, whichever is less, is allowed from such income.

This is separately available from a standard deduction from the “Salary” head.

Therefore, the answer to your question is “yes”. If a person is having “Salary” income as well as “family pension”, then he would be entitled to standard deduction permissible for the “Salary” income as well as a separate standard deduction permissible for the “family pension”, as mentioned above.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Taxation Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Sanction Gratuity & Pension to the Govt Officials convicted in ACB cases
family pension deduction u/s 57(iia) of Income Tax Act
Family pension for son of deceased
Rebate on tax for pensioners