Decree of a Subordinate Court

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Decree of a Subordinate Court

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My Grandfather got a decree stating that he is original possessor of a suited land in 1985 but now the defendants sons are claiming that the land belongs to them by stating that neither they or their Father sold property to my grandfather or to my father. They filed a case in civil court.couod you please tell us how to approach that case and squash it

It is not possible to reply to a question on this Forum on the facts of the case, as examination of facts requires detailed study of the issues involved.

However, in brief, let me point out that if your grandfather has a decree of 1985, which is about 35 years old decree, and if it was not challenged in appeal, etc., at that time, it may not be possible for the defendants’ successors to now challenge that in appeal after such long delay. The limitation period to file appeal, etc., would have expired long back.

Secondly, filing a fresh case in the civil court (as you have mentioned) at this stage may also be not tenable in law, if the cause of action is the same. This is because a second suit is barred by the principle of res judicata (see, section 11 of the Civil Procedure Code) and moreover, it would have been barred by limitation too.

This reply is based only on the basis of limited facts mentioned in the question. You should consult some local lawyer by showing him all relevant documents, etc.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Revision PETITION against ex parte decree
Order 7 Rule 11 of CPC repeated petition or amendment
ex parte, civil procedure law - revision petition in high court
Can a respondent be compelled to appear personally in civil proceedings