What action is possible for false information given under RTI Act?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others What action is possible for false information given under RTI Act?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

On my RTI application initially no reply was given. When I filed appeal, the department gave wrong information under RTI reply. What action can I take for this wrong or false information given to me?

Under Section 18 of the Right to Information Act, 2005, it is the duty of the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission, as the case may be, to conduct inquiry, inter alia, on the complaint of a person who believes that he or she has been given incomplete, misleading or false information under this Act.

So, you can file a complaint with the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission, as the case may be about false information given to you in the RTI reply.

Further, under Section 20 of the said Act, where the Central Information Commission or State Information Commission, as the case may be, at the time of deciding any complaint or appeal is of the opinion that the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, has, without any reasonable cause, inter alia, knowingly given incorrect, incomplete or misleading information, it has the power to impose penalty on such officer not exceeding twenty-five thousand rupees.

In addition to this, furnishing false information may also be an offence under the provisions of the Indian Penal Code, in appropriate cases.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Can I use RTI to get case related info from banks?
Can I use RTI to get information about progress of investigation in FIR?
RTI information not supplied within one month to do, what can be done?
Can Lokayukta or Chief Information Commissioner be prosecuted under S. 219 IPC?