Can I use RTI to get information about progress of investigation in FIR?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I use RTI to get information about progress of investigation in FIR?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

The police is refusing to tell me the latest developments in the investigation launched by them in an FIR lodged on my complaint. Can I use RTI to get information about updates in the investigation? Will the police provide reply to such RTI?

Usually, if you are the complainant in the FIR, the police may give you broad or general idea of the developments in the investigation; this may be without going into specifics.

However, if the police is refusing to divulge information to you about the progress in the investigation, even though you are the complainant in the case, then it may be due to the sensitive nature of the information. In such a situation, it may not be possible for you to get such information even through an RTI application.

Section 8(1)(h) of the Right to Information Act clearly lays down that there shall be no obligation to give to any citizen, “information which would impede the process of investigation or apprehension or prosecution of offenders”.

Therefore, information relating to developments in an investigation being conducted by police is protected under the RTI. Police may refuse to divulge such information to you even under the RTI application.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR closure by police and now I as complainant being called to court
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence