permanent alimony

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

sir, at family court in 28 january 2014 family court had passed divorce decree and ordered me to pay rs- 3 lakhs as permanent alimony to my wife, which i had deposited but my wife had filed again in high court of odisha for higher alimony on 29 march 2014 and then she had also taken money rs- 3 lakhs from family court on 1 may 2014. high court of odisha had given judgement on 28 july 2016 and ordered me to deposit rs- 25 lakhs as permanent alimony to my divorced wife within 2 months. but am unable to pay such a big amount and filed review petition on the same high court on 29 august 2016 and the case status is in pending in high court. now family court is sending me EP and saying me to pay rs- 25 lakhs as per the judgement of high court. please help me what to do now can family court will wait to the review petition judgement or not. and can i get stay order from high court or i have to take stay order from supreme court so that family court will not entertain in the case until the review petition judgement comes. and can i file case against the judgement of high court in supreme court now or after the review petition judgement comes from the high court. please guide me help me sir

Since you have filed a review petition in the high court, you should try to get a stay order from the high court against the order to pay Rs. 25 lakh as permanent alimony. Otherwise, try for an early disposal of your review petition.

In the absence of a specific stay order, the lower court would generally insist on the implementation of the order. If the lower court agrees, you may try to request the court that your review petition is pending hearing and during such pendency the order be not implemented since otherwise your review petition would become infructuous. Chances of the lower court agreeing to this in the absence of a specific stay order are less, but you can try that if there is no alternative.

You can approach the Supreme Court only after disposal of the review petition by the high court (if the order is unfavourable to you). During the pendency of the review petition in the high court, it will not be possible to approach the Supreme Court.

Another option could be to withdraw the review petition from the high court if you feel that you are not likely to get a favourable order and if the high court is not inclined to grant stay order on the permanent alimony and if it is taking time to decide the review petition. In such scenario, you can approach the Supreme Court by filing a Special Leave Petition (SLP) after withdrawal of the review petition. But, then, you’ll have to take a decision in this regard after taking all aspects into consideration and it should not be done in a casual manner.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport