Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Myself Adv Deepak Singla
      M just reading your blogs.
      I have a case under Maintenance Senior citizen act 2007

I have one doubt
      This case is between two real brothers
      Younger brother transfer his property to his elder brother in 2016 ,at that time younger brother age 56
      Now in 2020 he becomes senior citizen he files an application for cancelation of deed while younger brother is married and have two children and well settled business
      Is he entitled to get back his property from his elder brother .
      Kindly help me on this matter with citations plz
      I am representing elder brother

DeepakSingla
      dpksingla07@gmail.co.

Section 23 of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, is reproduced as under:

23. Transfer of property to be void in certain circumstances.—(1) Where any senior citizen who, after the commencement of this Act, has transferred by way of gift or otherwise, his property, subject to the condition that the transferee shall provide the basic amenities and basic physical needs to the transferor and such transferee refuses or fails to provide such amenities and physical needs, the said transfer of property shall be deemed to have been made by fraud or coercion or under undue influence and shall at the option of the transferor be declared void by the Tribunal.

(2) Where any senior citizen has a right to receive maintenance out of an estate and such estate or part thereof is transferred, the right to receive maintenance may be enforced against the transferee if the transferee has notice of the right, or if the transfer is gratuitous; but not against the transferee for consideration and without notice of right.

(3) If, any senior citizen is incapable of enforcing the rights under sub-section (1) and (2), action may be taken on his behalf by any of the organisation referred to in Explanation to sub-section (1) of Section 5.”

So, it is clear from its language that it is applicable where a senior citizen has transferred his property by way of gift or otherwise. In your case, when the property was transferred by the younger brother, he was not a senior citizen since at that time he was 56 years old.

Moreover, such transfer of property must have been on the condition that the transferee shall provide the basic amenities and basic physical needs to the transferor and such transferee refuses or fails to provide such amenities and physical needs.

So, check whether the transfer in your case was made subject to this condition. Also check whether the elder brother has refused to or has failed to provide the amenities and physical needs as mentioned at the time of the transfer.

On the fact of the facts mentioned by you, it appears that Section 23 may not apply in your case. Note that it is difficult to give opinion on facts of a case by merely reading a question and without going through the detailed documents of the case (as mentioned in Tilak Marg Forum guidelines). In fact, you have not mentioned even whether the transfer was a gift or on the basis of some consideration; though I have presumed it to be as a gift or at least with inadequate consideration. Therefore, this is a tentative opinion on the basis of limited information being available.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Thanks for your valuing time Dr. Ashok Dhamija sir
      That transfer was through gift deed and there was mention in gift deed if he does not maintain me he has right to cancel that deed.
      Elder brother does not refused in fact he does not need any maintenance he has his own house and well settled business.
      Now whats your opinion sir…
      One more thing that property further being transfer by elder brother to his son through gift deed
      Kindly help me sir
      How can I defend this case

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport
Maintenance and Loss of Earnings