Maintenance case filed by wife and daughter when wife earning in 6 figures

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Maintenance case filed by wife and daughter when wife earning in 6 figures

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am a senior central Government officer. Due to some family and matrimonial issues, i am staying alone from my wife and daughter. My wife is also a senior professional earning a six figure salary. My daughter has however just completed 12th Standard and is above the age of 18 years. Both of them have filed a case against me for maintenance under Section 125 Crpc. please help me sir.

Firstly, please keep in mind that under Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code, wife can claim maintenance if she is unable to maintain herself. If your wife is earning in 6 figures (which means Rs. 1 lakh or above per month), then she cannot say that she is not able to maintain herself. So, if you have proof of her monthly salary which is in six figures, then you can oppose her maintenance application on this ground.

Secondly, under Section 125 Cr.P.C., a minor child can claim maintenance if he or she is unable to maintain himself or herself, as the case may be. In your case, you have said that the daughter is 18 years plus, which means that she is not a minor now, so legally speaking she cannot seek maintenance now. Then, there is another provision in Section 125 that even a child who has attained majority, i.e., above 18 years of age (not being a married daughter), can also claim maintenance if such child is, by reason of any physical or mental abnormality or injury unable to maintain itself. If your daughter has no such physical or mental abnormality or injury due to which she cannot maintain herself, then she cannot claim maintenance from you legally speaking. That said, as far as your daughter is concerned, she has just completed her 12th standard examination and she may be in need to study further instead of getting employed somewhere to maintain herself. Therefore, even if under law your daughter is not able to claim maintenance from you, it may be your moral duty to support her by paying her monthly allowance for study or for other requirements. This may be so even if she may be staying with her mother, i.e., with your wife. This is only a moral duty, though, as father of a daughter.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport