Limitation period for making application to amend a plaint in civil suit

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Limitation period for making application to amend a plaint in civil suit

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had filed a civil suit about one and half years back. The suit is still at an initial stage and the regular examination of witnesses is yet to begin. I want to make certain amendments to my plaint. Can I file an application for amendment of my plaint at this stage when there is already a delay of one and half years from the date of filing of the plaint? Is there any limitation period for filing an application to amend a plaint in a civil suit?

Order 6 Rule 17 of the Civil Procedure Code deals with amendments to the pleadings, which include a plaint filed in a civil suit. This Rule is as under:

17. Amendment of pleadings.— The Court may at any stage of the proceedings allow either party to alter or amend his pleading in such manner and on such terms as may be just, and all such amendments shall be made as may be necessary for the purpose of determining the real questions in controversy between the parties:

Provided that no application for amendment shall be allowed after the trial has commenced, unless the Court comes to the conclusion that in spite of due diligence, the party could not have raised the matter before the commencement of trial.”

It should be clear from this Rule that the Court has the power to allow amendment of the pleadings at any stage of the proceedings.

Moreover, it is pertinent to point out that no period of limitation has been prescribed either under the Civil Procedure Code or the Limitation Act for making an application for amendment of the pleadings, such as in the plaint.

In view of the above, it should be clear that there is no limitation period for moving an application for amendment in the plaint, and you can move this application for amendment even one and half year after filing of the plaint. Of course, the proposed amendments in the plaint must meet the requirements of “…as may be necessary for the purpose of determining the real questions in controversy between the parties” and other requirements of the law so that the court can exercise its discretion of allowing the amendment of the plaint in favour of you.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Decree of a Subordinate Court
Revision PETITION against ex parte decree
Order 7 Rule 11 of CPC repeated petition or amendment
ex parte, civil procedure law - revision petition in high court