Care and maintenance of old-aged parents by son

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Care and maintenance of old-aged parents by son


This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #3301


    One of my relatives is a widow of the age of about 65 years. She does not have any financial resources. Her son is a businessman having decent income but despite this he is not looking after his old-aged mother. She is taking care of herself by borrowing money from relatives, including from me. How can she force her son legally to take care of her and pay her regular maintenance money?

  • #3302

    There are at least two legal provisions which can help the old-aged mother to claim maintenance from her son.

    The first provision is Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code which, inter alia, provides that if any person having sufficient means neglects or refuses to maintain his father or mother, unable to maintain himself or herself, a Magistrate of the first class may, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife or such child, father or mother, at such monthly rate as such Magistrate thinks fit, and to pay the same to such person as the Magistrate may from time to time direct.

    So, the old-aged mother can file a case under Section 125 Cr.P.C. against her son to claim monthly maintenance from him.

    Secondly, about 10 years back, a new law by the name of Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, was passed by the Parliament. As per the provisions of Section 1(3) of this Act, it comes into effect within a State from the date to be fixed by the State Government concerned. So, it has to be checked whether this Act has been made applicable in your State. If so, then under the provisions of this Act, an application can be made by the old-aged mother before the Maintenance Tribunal set up under the said Act, for seeking maintenance from her son.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport
Maintenance and Loss of Earnings
best way to save property from evil daughter-in-law

Facebook Comments