Whether holding of preliminary inquiry is mandatory for minor penalty

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Whether holding of preliminary inquiry is mandatory for minor penalty

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Is it mandatory to hold a preliminary inquiry if it is proposed to impose a minor penalty in disciplinary proceedings?

I have previously replied in detail to a similar question in respect of a major penalty, namely, Preliminary enquiry – whether necessary before major penalty charge sheet and can a junior officer conduct it?

The answer to that question is mostly applicable to your question also. So, please read that.

In fact, as I have mentioned in the aforesaid answer, a preliminary enquiry may not be necessary even where it is proposed to impose a major penalty. A minor penalty procedure is quite limited and brief, in comparison. Therefore, it is not mandatory for the disciplinary authority to first conduct or cause to be conducted a preliminary enquiry before imposing a minor penalty. It is as per the discretion of the authority, depending on facts of the case.

As I have mentioned in the above answer, a preliminary enquiry is different from the regular inquiry which is held after communicating to the delinquent officer the charge or the imputation of misconduct or misbehaviour. So, there should not be any confusion in this regard.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal)
Can we stop retirement benefits to charge sheet issued just before retirement
Case is pending in CBI court, departmental penalty given
Departmental Enquiry - How to conduct when employee in jail