Can we stop retirement benefits to charge sheet issued just before retirement

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Can we stop retirement benefits to charge sheet issued just before retirement

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

charge sheet was issued just few hours before retirement on an issue of alleged qualification of 24 years back. In “Ask Questions”, gave your opinion that retirement benefits viz., Pension, Gratuity, Leave Encashment etc , cannot be withheld in the absence of Withholding of such benefits incorporated in the CDA rules. No such provision exists in my Company CDA rules except withholding of Gratuity under certain circumstances. I retired from a CPSU However, I got the gratuity after getting favourable orders from Competent Authority and Appellate Authority under Gratuity Act. When the Company approached the High Court challenging the orders of the Appellate Authority for granting stay orders which was not allowed and the judgment was given in my favour and received my gratuity amount.
      In your advise stated that issue >4 years old cannot become grounds for issuing charge sheet as per some high court judgments. Kindly help me such specific judgements to enable me to file a

Firstly, the rule that a departmental enquiry cannot be initiated where the issue involved is more than 4 years old, is applicable where the charge sheet is issued after retirement of the employee. There is no such restriction of 4 years where the charge sheet has been issued prior to the retirement, even if it may be just a few hours before retirement, as it appears to be in your case.

Secondly, this rule is as applicable to the central government employees under Rule 9 of the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972. You have mentioned that you were working in a central PSU. So, it is not known whether there is a similar rule in your pension rules. You may have to check it from your company’s rules.

That said, there is still a general principle of law that the departmental enquiry should not be initiated on a very old issue after long delay. How much delay? Well, it depends on the facts of each case, including on the gravity of the charges. In your case, you have mentioned that the departmental enquiry has been started on an issue which is 24 years old. If correct, it would be wrong on the part of the part of the authorities to do so. You can consider challenging it in appropriate court / tribunal on the ground of gross delay caused in the initiation of the departmental proceedings in your case. There is a reasonable chance that the court may agree with your contention, more so if the charges are not serious.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal)
Case is pending in CBI court, departmental penalty given
Departmental Enquiry - How to conduct when employee in jail
Whether holding of preliminary inquiry is mandatory for minor penalty