SMS, Call recordings, Call details – whether sufficient evidence?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law SMS, Call recordings, Call details – whether sufficient evidence?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

A person has been threatening and blackmailing me on phone. I have recorded his phone calls and saved the SMS text messages received from him and have taken screenshots of the same as well as of the call details. If I file a police complaint against that person, will such evidence be sufficient to prove the case against him? I am asking this because I do not have any other evidence (like any other witness or document).

The SMS text messages, WhatsApp messages, Mobile phone call recordings, call details, etc., are definitely important pieces of evidence. This is electronic evidence which can be proved either by submitting the original or by proving it as “electronic record” under the provisions of Section 65-B of the Evidence Act.

However, without seeing the actual evidence and without knowing the exact nature of the complaint (or offences alleged), it is not possible for anyone to confirm whether such evidence would be sufficient to prove the case. It depends on the facts and circumstances of each individual case. But, as I pointed out above, the above evidence can definitely be used by you. In addition, you have your own oral evidence also. You may perhaps professionally consult some lawyer by showing him the details of such evidence. Or, you can take a chance and file the complaint with police since you have no other option and in any case, the police will collect more evidence during investigation, such as obtaining records from the telecom operators. In fact, it is the duty of the police to collect whatever evidence is available, during investigation. If you are required to file a private complaint in the court, then of course the evidence will have to be provided by you to prove your case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

What can be done and what cannot be in a cross-examination?
Can a mobile phone screenshot be accepted as legal evidence in a case in India?
THE INDIAN EVIDENCE ACT - 2st Question
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet