Selection of Member/Chairperson in Child Welfare Committee as per Juvenile Justice Act 2015

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Selection of Member/Chairperson in Child Welfare Committee as per Juvenile Justice Act 2015


This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 6 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #4451

    Respected Sir,
    I am from Pune, Maharashtra

    As per the Juvenile Justice Act 2015 Section 27 government shall appoint a Child Welfare Committee in each district. Day before yesterday government release notification of the same. As per the required Qualification i have done Psychology, Child Psychology and LL.B. (Final Year) with the experience of 12 years in child care institute.I had give a proper interview and follow the proper process of selection.

    but in the recent notification there are no such kind of qualified person, so what can i do?

  • #4456

    The relevant extracts from Section 27 of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015, relating to qualifications required for being the chairperson / members of the Child Welfare Committee of a district are as under:

    “(2) The Committee shall consist of a Chairperson, and four other members as the State Government may think fit to appoint, of whom at least one shall be a woman and another, an expert on the matters concerning children.

    (4) No person shall be appointed as a member of the Committee unless such person has been actively involved in health, education or welfare activities pertaining to children for at least seven years or is a practicing professional with a degree in child psychology or psychiatry or law or social work or sociology or human development.

    (5) No person shall be appointed as a member unless he possesses such other qualifications as may be prescribed.”

    Please remember that sub-section (5) of Section 27, as noted above, permits such other qualifications as may be prescribed under the Rules made by the Central Government under Section 110(2)(xiv) of the said Act. So, please check such Rules also, if any.

    On the basis of the above qualifications, if you believe that the members / chairperson who have been appointed to the Child Welfare Committee do not fulfil these requirements, then you can challenge the constitution of the committee by filing a writ petition in the High Court.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

To ask about service matter - effect of criminal case as juvenile

Facebook Comments