Rebate on tax for pensioners

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Taxation Laws Rebate on tax for pensioners

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Saly Joy

I am receiving a family pension as well as my service pension .Can I enjoy the rebate of 15000 for family pension along with the standard deduction of 40000 .

As I have explained in one of my previous answers, pension and family pension are charged for income tax under different heads of income.

While pension is charged under the “salary” head, the family pension is charged under the “income from other sources” head.

This implies that if you are receiving regular service pension, as well as family pension, then their computation will be done separately under different heads.

Computation of deduction is permissible under these two heads separately. Maximum of ₹ 40,000 for salary head (which includes pension) under Section 16 of the Income Tax Act. And, a maximum of ₹ 15,000 for family pension under Section 57(ii-a) of the Income Tax Act.

Therefore, in my considered opinion, it should be possible to claim the benefit of both two deductions, from regular service pension and family pension respectively, if you are getting these two pensions.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Taxation Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Under Income Tax Act, can one get standard deduction and S. 57(ii)a reliefs?
family pension deduction u/s 57(iia) of Income Tax Act
LIC benefit for income tax and pension to dependent parents
Adding LTCG and STCG to income - Long Term and Short Term capital gains