Property issues – Signature taken on gift deed by fraud

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Property issues – Signature taken on gift deed by fraud

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My Brother while my father is not well took the gift deed signature with witness from me by telling our signatures are needed for loan.He kept first few loan papers and in between he kept the gift deed and took signature from us without any consent from us.

Please let us know if we can file a case against my brother and cancel the gift deed now. Please

When you were told that the signatures are needed for loan but instead of that he took your signatures on a gift deed; and, for this purpose, your brother kept first few loan papers and in between he kept the gift deed, in such situation, this is a fraud, as defined in Section 17 of the Contract Act.

Though I have not seen the full documents and records, it appears that, in fact, it is a fraudulent misrepresentation as to the character of the document and not merely fraudulent misrepresentation as to the contents thereof, as differentiated in the Supreme Court judgment in the case of Ningawwa v. Byrappa, AIR 1968 SC 956.

If so, it would a void contract being of no legal effect. And, in any case, it would at least be a voidable contract.

So, I think you can file an appropriate suit in the court in respect of the gift deed which has been got signed due to fraudulent misrepresentation. You may consult some local lawyer in your area by showing the relevant documents and other details.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Revocation of gift if mutation not done
Converting a joint owner property into a single owner property
Can my father transfer his property to me only and not to other family members
Can my mother cancel a registered gift deed of property?