Can my mother cancel a registered gift deed of property?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Can my mother cancel a registered gift deed of property?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My father is not alive and we two brothers are living in the same house with our mother. I am doing all household expenses for last 8 years and my brother is almost unemployed. My mother had a plot in her name on which I constructed the house spending about 20 lakh rupees. My mother had gifted that house to me by a registered gift deed 2 years back. The house in which we all are living continues to be in the name of my mother. Now due to some family problems, my mother is not happy with me. She wants to cancel the above registered gift deed of other house and give the same to my brother. Can she do so? I spent a lot of money on that house for construction and otherwise also. Can I resist the cancellation of the gift deed through legal ways?

Recently, I have replied to a similar question, which may please be seen: Cancellation or revocation of registered gift deed of immovable property.

As mentioned in the above reply, once a gift of an immovable property has been registered, it cannot be revoked by the donor at his or her own will. Further, if there is a clause in the gift deed that it could be revoked by the donor in future, then such gift deed itself is void.

In view of this, once an immovable property has been gifted to you by your mother by way of a registered gift deed, and by fully understanding the consequences of such gift, such gift cannot be revoked by her.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Property issues - Signature taken on gift deed by fraud
Revocation of gift if mutation not done
Converting a joint owner property into a single owner property
Can my father transfer his property to me only and not to other family members