Marry without telling tha girl that he is already married and not divorced yet

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Marry without telling tha girl that he is already married and not divorced yet

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      vartika

I m vartika, Sir i m married with a person who is already married, before marriage they told me that he is devorced from his first marriage But reciently i got the information that his case is still in process when i fought for that they started harashing me so i leave there house,now i need divorce and the money which we spend on my marriage, can you help me and suggest what can i do And how to start the case? Plz help me

For my reply, I am presuming that your husband is not governed by the Muslim law. If that be so, then marrying for second time when his first marriage was still valid and his first wife was alive is an offence under Section 494 of the IPC, which is punishable with a maximum of 7 years’ imprisonment. However, this offence is non-cognizable and the police cannot register the FIR. Therefore, you’ll have to file a private complaint before the court under Section 494 IPC against your husband along with relevant evidence.

Secondly, again presuming that your marriage is covered under the Hindu Marriage Act, it would be a void marriage within the meaning of Section 11 of the said Act, and you can file a petition before the court for getting it declared as void by a decree of nullity. There is no need for filing a divorce petition, since a decree of nullity would be the correct option in your case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

DIVORCE DECREE UNDER HMA FROM DISTRICT COURT
How to get Divorce Certificate (Orders) online
Validity of Appeal period in a divorce case
Divorce in India for Australian Citizen