Is handwritten and unregistered will valid in India?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Is handwritten and unregistered will valid in India?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

If I prepare a handwritten will and do not register it, what is its legal status? Is it valid? I am going to write the will in my own handwriting and all my family members can recognize my handwriting.

Yes. A handwritten and unregistered will is valid in India. However, it should have been attested by two witnesses whose signatures should be present on the will. Also, the signature of a doctor certifying that the person making the will is mentally sound and healthy to make the will is preferable.

Having said that, it is not necessary that the will should be registered or that it should be typewritten. At the same time, if a will is registered (though it not mandatory), it would be better since that furnishes further proof of its genuineness.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Civil - legality of handwritten will without witnesses
Property issue- property transferred under registered will, right of others
Property issue - right of grandson when property transferred to son due to registered will
Probate of a registered will in civil court how it will be proved .