If employee transferred unreasonably to different office, can he come late?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws If employee transferred unreasonably to different office, can he come late?


This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 6 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #4914


    If the authority has transferred an employee to a different office unreasonably without considering his genuine problems, and if the employee attends the office late and leaves the office early everyday, then whether any action could be taken by the authority against the employee for such late coming and early going back?

  • #4926

    As far as I understand, generally, no employer or authority would allow an employee coming late every day and going back early every day. If the employee has a genuine problem, he can speak to the authority concerned for permission to do so. But, if such permission (to come late and leave early, everyday) is not granted, then the employee cannot do so everyday. Action can definitely be taken against such employee in accordance with rules applicable.

    Generally, transfer of an employee may be inevitable sometimes if it is a large organisation, especially in Government. If you are working in Government sector, you can even file a petition challenging your unreasonable transfer in the appropriate tribunal or court. However, it may not be possible for the authority concerned to always keep you posted at one place itself. Of course, it may depend on the nature of the employer, and there are some organisations where the employee would never be transferred.

    But, suppose the employee has been transferred and he has no legal remedy left against such transfer, then he has to abide by the office rules. Any violation of the discipline rules may attract penalty or action, unless such violation is permitted by the authority concerned.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

What is the procedure to transfer a case from state police to CBI?
Will Supreme Court withdraw case from JMFC court for clubbing with HC case?
Regarding transfer on spouse ground in Central govt
spouse quota posting-how far? Husband in Central Govt and wife in State Govt.

Facebook Comments

[Note: For a free legal question with your Facebook login, click here.]