How to retract confession statement made under threat of police?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law How to retract confession statement made under threat of police?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My brother was arrested by the police for an alleged cheating case against him. He was made to sign various statements by the police as confession statement and even was made to depose before the court u/s 164 Cr.P.C. How can I save him from the statements that he has signed?

Firstly, please note that in so far as a signed statement of accused recorded by police is concerned, it is not admissible in evidence (except in so far as it is covered under Section 27 of the Evidence Act leading to discovery of a material fact). So, such statements cannot be produced before court, due to which you need not worry in respect of such statements.

As far as a confession statement recorded under Section 164 Cr.P.C. is concerned, though there is no specific format or procedure to retract such confession statement, the accused can immediately write to the competent court (or the higher court) mentioning that such confession was recorded under the threats given by the police and that it was not a voluntary statement and also that it is untrue. Secondly, at the time of the trial, the accused may disown such confession statement and state as mentioned above. In the face of such denial by the accused, it would ultimately be up to the trial court to believe or disbelieve such confession under Section 164 Cr.P.C. in the totality of the circumstances of the case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Difference between the logo of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Police
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence