How to challenge Family Court Order in High Court?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law How to challenge Family Court Order in High Court?


This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #4328

    Udar Ojha

    A case under section 125 CrPC is registered against my friend in a Family Court. He filed an application challenging the maintainability of the case stating that the Trial Court lacks jurisdiction and the case must be dismissed as per section 126(1)(b) CrPC. The Trial Court dismissed the said application of my friend.

    Query: How can he challenge the impugned order of the Trial Court at the High Court? He doesn’t want to invoke jurisdiction of High Court under section 482 CrPC for quashing of the entire proceedings of the maintenance case at this stage. But he wants to try the fate of his application in the appellate court. Under what law/provision he can approach High Court? Please let me know.

  • #4329

    Udar Ojha

    Also, what will be the prayer? Will it be a Writ Petition or Criminal Misc?

  • #4336

    Udar Ojha

    Will it be Revision under section 19(4) of the Family Act? Or Crim Misc under section 482 Crpc to set aside the impugned order? Or a petition under article 227 of the constitution?

  • #4375

    Without going into the merits of facts of your case, since the order has been passed by the Family Court, which is constituted under the provisions of the Family Courts Act, 1984, a revision application against such order can be filed before the High Court under the provisions of Section 19(4) of the Family Courts Act. This is presuming that the order relating to jurisdiction of the court is not considered as an interlocutory order. And, in my opinion, it should not be considered as an interlocutory order as it finally settles the question of jurisdiction.     

    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

Revision PETITION against ex parte decree
Revision of complaint filed u/s 200 CrPC - scope of power of revision
Appeal, revision or Review in National Consumer Forum from revision by State Forum

Facebook Comments