CrPC – police asking accused to accompany to PS without FIR

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law CrPC – police asking accused to accompany to PS without FIR

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Suresh Sharma 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #3554

    Can a police officer ask a(accused) person to accompany him to police station on the basis of a telephonic complaint without filing of FIR and without going to the site of alleged crime for negotiations with the complainant.And if the (accused) person is assaulted by the complainant along with his friends on the way to police station in his presence.Then what legal action can be taken against the police officer.

  • #3560

    Registration of FIR is not mandatory for starting investigation in a cognizable offence. If there is commission of a cognizable offence about which complaint has been made, there is no legal bar on calling the accused to police station even before registration of a formal FIR. However, calling the accused for negotiating with the complainant may not be permissible since it is not the job of police to facilitate negotiations between parties.

    Depending upon what injuries have been caused during the assault, the relevant sections of IPC (such as Section 323, 324, etc.) may be applicable against the assailants. If the police officer has not been involved in the assault directly or indirectly, then he may not be directly an accused in the assault case. But, he may be responsible for his negligence in performing his duties and failing to prevent / control the assault. Depending on facts of the case, such police officer may be liable for the assault sections, or under Section 166 IPC or 221 IPC or may be only for departmental action. It will depend on the detailed facts of the case.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

  • #3581

    Thanks a lot for the reply.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

What is punishment in case under Sections 324 325 and 506 r/w 34 IPC?
Can accused get bail from Supreme Court immediately after its rejection by High Court?
Section 420 IPC - can fake assessment order of tax lead to cheating?
Section 337 IPC - untrained doctor performing minor surgery on leg and damaging

Facebook Comments