Can I travel abroad while on anticipatory bail?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I travel abroad while on anticipatory bail?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

A case of 498A of penal code is registered against me on complaint from my wife. I have obtained anticipatory bail in this case. The bail order does not say anything about not visiting abroad or leaving my city. I have an urgent business tour of about a week. In this situation, can I travel abroad? [Note: the case is still with police and there is no court date to attend.]

You have mentioned that no restrictions have been put in place as bail conditions while granting you anticipatory bail. Usually, it is your right to visit abroad and if no restrictions have been imposed on you under the authority of law on your foreign visits, then your right remains there. One of the main condition for grant of bail is that you’ll cooperate with the investigation and will attend the court and investigation as and when required. Moreover, you are saying that the case is still under investigation and there are no court dates as yet. In such circumstances, your passport also would be with you and you might not have been asked to surrender your passport to police or court. In these circumstances, if your presence is not required for the purposes of the investigation and you can visit abroad and return in a short time to enable you to attend court / investigation, there should be no issue about your foreign visit. Still if you want to be on the safer side, you may inform the investigation officer before going out.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Circumstances change in a bail order
BAIL AFTER UPHOLDING VERDICT OF TRIAL COURT BY HC
What documents can be procured from court for applying a bail?
Cancellation of Bail by Sessions Court when bail was granted by High Court