Can I see details of General Diary (GD) entry of a police station of a specific date?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I see details of General Diary (GD) entry of a police station of a specific date?


This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 6 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #4928


    Sir can I see a general diary details of a particular date and a particular police station?

  • #4933

    As far as I understand, the General Diary or GD (also called, Station Diary, in some states) is a confidential document maintained in the police station. Generally speaking, you may not be allowed to get access to it or to read it.

    You may file an RTI application under the Right to Information Act for getting a copy of the General Diary of the police station concerned for a full date or for a specific GD entry. If you want to see a specific entry in the General Diary (and not the whole General Diary for a particular date), there are better chances of you getting it under RTI. Depending on the relevance of such information sought, police may refuse to give the information provided to you under clauses (g) and/or (h) of Section 8(1) of the Right to Information Act, 2005, which are as under:

    “(g) information, the disclosure of which would endanger the life or physical safety of any person or identify the source of information or assistance given in confidence for law enforcement or security purposes;

    (h) information which would impede the process of investigation or apprehension or prosecution of offenders;”

    However, if such information sought by you is not coming within the above restrictions, then the police may perhaps provide you the information relating to GD entry.

    If you ask for copy of the full day’s GD entries, the chances are that it may be refused under RTI. However, if you ask for a specific GD entry (more so, if it relates to you and not to third parties), there are better chances of getting copy of such specific GD entry.

    This is what is my understanding of the issues involved in your question. However, you may try seeking the information about GD entries, as desired.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

You may also like to read these topics:

Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence
Special public prosecutor - Can de facto complainant ask for appointment of?

Facebook Comments

[Note: For a free legal question with your Facebook login, click here.]