Can I get passport with charge under Section 498-A of IPC?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I get passport with charge under Section 498-A of IPC?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

On the complaint of my wife, a case under Section 498-A of Indian Penal Code has been filed against me. The police station has even charge sheeted that case but it is now pending before the court. I am a software engineer and I have got an offer of a job from Australia. Can I get a passport with this case of 498A IPC pending against me in the court? I have not applied for passport as yet.

I have already answered a similar question in detail (link given below). It can be said that while there is a general restriction on grant of a passport to a person facing a criminal case in India, passport can still be issued to such a person on the specific permission granted by the concerned court if he files an undertaking. This is the present legal position with regard to issuance of a passport to a person facing proceedings in a criminal case in a court in India. And, this legal position equally applies for a person who is accused of an offence under Section 498-A of IPC on a complaint filed by his wife. So, he can also get passport (or renew) subject to specific permission granted by the court before which such case is pending.

Please read my following article for more details: Can a person get passport during pendency of criminal case?

In this regard, please also see: Passport authority has no power to curb travel abroad of accused in criminal case, says Bombay High Court.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

How to recall NBWA issued against accused after his last non-appearance?
Is it possible to file 498A IPC case with police if S. 125 CrPC already pending?
Can documents be presented in Defence evidence without getting cross-examined
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport