Can I file counter FIR if an FIR is already registered against me?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I file counter FIR if an FIR is already registered against me?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

In our Mohalla, we had a fight in which I was injured when my neighbour hit me with a lathi. In the same fight my neighbour was also hurt. He went to the police station and filed FIR against me. I had not gone to the police station thinking that the matter can be resolved between us. Now since my neighbour has already filed his FIR against me, can I also file a counter FIR against me for the injury that he caused to me? Is it too late since the incident took place 2 days before?

Yes, there is no legal bar to you filing your counter FIR against your neighbour. If your complaint discloses a cognizable offence, the police will file the FIR.

Though there is a delay of 2 days, as you have mentioned, in filing of the FIR by you, and it may raise some doubt about the genuineness of your FIR, however, there is no legal bar for filing of FIR after two days. So, without any further delay, you should lodge your FIR with police.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet