Can divorce case run in two separate courts simultaneously?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Can divorce case run in two separate courts simultaneously?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I was denied divorce after fighting for four years in lower court.but i filed at high court within 20 days after lower court announces its decision.my wife has filed for divorce in same lower court after my filing in high court.now,in my case of high court till now they have not appeared in court.but we were summoned by lower court and lower court judge forced my lawyer to give answer to their petition on 2nd
      hearing only.even when i have give application that the same is pending before high court and it has been filed earlier and we do not wish to continue here.but lower court judge says verbally that i will reject this application and you have to fight this case here.so,can you please guide me about the proper procedure to dismiss this case/or what are my options?thank you.

From the description given by you, it appears that your appeal against rejection of your divorce petition by lower court is pending in high court. At the same time, your wife has now filed for a divorce petition in the lower court. Thus, it appears that both of you are interested in divorce, though may be on different grounds. In these circumstances, it would be advisable to file a divorce petition by mutual consent, which can be decided much faster than a contested petition and in an amicable manner. If both parties agree for divorce by mutual consent, then after filing such petition by mutual consent, other two cases can be withdrawn.

The second option is that either of you can agree to the petition filed by the opposite party (since both petitions ultimately want divorce) and get the decree of divorce passed, and thereafter withdraw the other pending petition. The terms of divorce can be decided mutually.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

DIVORCE DECREE UNDER HMA FROM DISTRICT COURT
How to get Divorce Certificate (Orders) online
Validity of Appeal period in a divorce case
Divorce in India for Australian Citizen