Maintenance for minor child under Section 125 CRPC

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Maintenance for minor child under Section 125 CRPC

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My wife is living separately from me though we are not divorced as yet. Both of us are working. She is working in a bank and I am working in government service. She is getting 50% more salary than me. We have one minor daughter of 7 years age who is living with my wife. Now my wife has filed a case under Sec. 125 of CRPC for seeking maintenance for the minor child even though she is earning 50% more than me. I am willing to keep the child with me and in that situation I am willing to meet all her expenses. Actually I am willing to keep my wife also with me but she is not willing to do so. When my wife is forcibly keeping the minor child with her, then why should I be forced to pay maintenance for the child, when the wife is getting more salary? I am willing to keep the child and meet her expenses, but why this maintenance? Can I be forced to pay maintenance by court for the child?

It is the duty of the father to maintain his minor child. A specific legal obligation has been cast on him under Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code in this regard. Therefore, there is nothing wrong if an application is filed under Section 125 of the Cr.P.C. seeking maintenance for the minor child.

The facts mentioned by you in the question are the mitigating circumstances. You may mention all these facts in the reply to be submitted by you as a response to the application for maintenance.

While it may be true that your wife being an earning person cannot claim any maintenance from you for herself, since she can maintain herself. But, your minor child is not working anywhere and the child is not earning. So, the child can still ask for maintenance from you even if the child is living with your wife who is earning person. Of course, you can take a stand that you are willing to take care of the full expenses of the minor child if the child lives with you and also that you are more than willing to keep the child with you. However, whether the child should live with you or with your wife, is an entirely different issue, which has to be decided on various independent grounds (such as emotional needs of the child, for example), which are unconnected with the maintenance issue. But at the same time, suppose the child continues to live with your wife, you may still be asked by the court to contribute towards the maintenance of the child. Ultimately, it will depend on the discretion to be exercised by the Magistrate and a maintenance may still be ordered against you in favour of the child. However, while ordering the maintenance to be paid by you, the Magistrate will definitely take into consideration various mitigating circumstances mentioned by you, including higher income of your wife. So, in all likelihood, while the maintenance may be directed, the amount may be comparatively less (since your wife may also be contributing for child’s upkeep) in view of the specific facts of your case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport