Civil litigation

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Raju Gowri

Sir,
      There is a civil litigation going between me and my brother. I am the plaintiff. The case is twice set aside exparte in my favour due to non appearence of the defendant. When I filed EP to comply the decree once again the respondent filed reopen petition showing some silly reason. Now I have to file counter. I am a very senior citizen and I am being harassed with prolonged litigation. Is there any remidy? Is vexatious litigation act come to my rescue. If any citations from the high court or supreme court for this delayed tactics please suggest the same to prepare the counter reply.
      TQ
      B B Raju

As far as I understand, there is no all-India Vexatious Litigation (Prevention) Act. I understand that a Private member’s Bill was tabled in Rajya Sabha in 2016 (see link), but it has not been passed so far. Such an Act exists in 2-3 states, but not in all states. I do not know which state you are from and whether there is any such Act in existence in your state.

I have seen the provisions of such Acts in two states (Maharashtra and Rajasthan) and it appears that your case may not be covered thereunder or under similar provisions, as you yourself appear to be the plaintiff.

In your counter reply, you may take the stand that on a previous occasion also, due to non-appearance of the defendant, the matter was allowed in your favour ex parte and subsequently this ex parte order was set aside, and that this is the second time that the matter was allowed in your favour for the non-appearance of the defendant again, and that defendant does not deserve any favourable order this time since he is interested in delaying the matter, etc. Generally speaking, it would be rare to see an ex parte order being passed twice and then getting set aside, though of course it depends on facts of each case. But, such careless party to a case would lose sympathy of the case if it happens again and again.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Decree of a Subordinate Court
Revision PETITION against ex parte decree
Order 7 Rule 11 of CPC repeated petition or amendment
ex parte, civil procedure law - revision petition in high court