What is the ideal response if the police calls ?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law What is the ideal response if the police calls ?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ramesh

Hello Sir,

What should be the ideal response if a police person calls me ? What if he asks where you are ? Come to certain police station?

Also what if the person who accused me of rape, just for the kicks files another complaint on me in some other area police station or an extended version of it like, “I have filed a police complaint in certain station, but I am currently living in xyz area and he is coming here and harassing/threatening/molesting me?” and that police station calls me ?

Can I deny to goto police station until they tell me what is the purpose over phone ? Can I deny to goto police station even after they inform me the reason for calling ?

Thanks in Advance
      Best Regards
      Ramesh

The short answer to your question is that you should cooperate with police in their investigation. Non-cooperation with police investigation may lead to arrest if the police has a valid case with them. Sometimes, even if no FIR has still been registered, police may question you for inquiry to ascertain whether FIR needs to be registered; in such situation also, any non-cooperation from your side will harm your own interests.

Nobody can stop a person from filing more than one complaint with police (and, at different police stations) if the facts make out a new offence. The police is duty bound to take up such complaints if a cognizable offence is made out.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

When police illegally registers FIR against and arrests a person
Can case under section 353,332,42,431,504,506 IPC be quashed?
How to get a copy of FIR when the accused is not yet arrested?
Elaborate example of FIR in a cross case