Travelling to two opposing countries – requirement for 2 passports

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Travelling to two opposing countries – requirement for 2 passports

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Dear,

Would be great if you would kindly offer advice please. One of my associates is travelling to two countries with strongly opposing political views. It is my understanding that if there is one country’s stamp on the passport, the other denies visa (and it’s not Israel; so the sticker visa or print visa and stamp is not applicable here; This country actually puts stamp on the passport upon entry and exit). Only possibility looks like having 2 separate Indian passports (NOT dual citizenship or others). Can a special request to the MEA/ Passport Authority (with proof) be submitted to resolve this? Or is a 2nd passport definitely not possible please?

Please see my article at the following link, which answers your question: Is it an offence to hold two Indian passports and what punishment?.

In the above article, I have quoted Rule 13 of the Passport Rules, 1980, which is reproduced below:

13. Issue of additional passport or travel document in special circumstances.- A person holding a passport or travel document shall not be entitled to another passport or travel document unless he surrenders to the passport authority the passport or travel document already held by him:

Provided that separate passports or travel documents may be issued to the same person in respect of different countries if it is necessary so to do for facilitating his visits to such countries.”

The Proviso to the above Rule 13 clearly states that separate passports or travel documents may be issued to the same person in respect of different countries if it is necessary so to do for facilitating his visits to such countries.

Therefore, you can apply for separate passports to the passport authorities in respect of visit to different countries if it is necessary so to do for facilitating his visits to such countries. If you can convince the passport authority about what you have mentioned, then the authority concerned may issue a second passport to you to visit different countries with opposite political views.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR with IPC 337
I want to apply passport, being an accused, case is under hearing and not started
Passport - can two passports be held legally in India?
grant of NOC for passport for Govt employee facing disciplinary proceedings