Translation of a copyrighted work – whether permission required?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Intellectual Property Translation of a copyrighted work – whether permission required?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

If I want to translate a literary work of someone else (which I suppose is the copyright of such other person), do I need prior approval of such person for publishing this translation? Or, can I publish the translation directly without his permission?

It is laid down in Section 14 of the Copyright Act, 1957, that “copyright” means the exclusive right subject to the provisions of this Act, to do or authorise the doing of various acts in respect of a work or any substantial part thereof, which include “to make any translation of the work”.

Therefore, it is the exclusive right of the copyright owner of a work to make or authorize the translation of the work. In view of this, you’ll need specific authorisation from the copyright owner to translate his work and publish it. Otherwise, it may be considered as a violation of his copyright.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Intellectual Property’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Offence under Section 63 of the Copyright Act