Transfer of Land – restriction of right under Domestic Violence Act

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Transfer of Land – restriction of right under Domestic Violence Act

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

A complaint has been filed against me under section 12 DV Act. That the complainant under the petition requested the court to pass an order to impose restriction on me to alienate or transfer the land to my mom, which has been purchased by my father in my name when I was minor. Till now the court has not passed any such order..
      Sir, Whether the court has discretion to restrict my civil right to transfer my own land?

Yes, under the provisions of clauses (d) and (e) of Section 19(1) of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005, the Magistrate has the power of restraining the respondent from alienating or disposing off the shared household or encumbering the same, or of restraining the respondent from renouncing his rights in the shared household except with the leave of the Magistrate. Section 19 is as under:

19. Residence orders.—(1) While disposing of an application under sub-section (1) of Section 12, the Magistrate may, on being satisfied that domestic violence has taken place, pass a residence order—

(a) restraining the respondent from dispossessing or in any other manner disturbing the possession of the aggrieved person from the shared household, whether or not the respondent has a legal or equitable interest in the shared household;

(b) directing the respondent to remove himself from the shared household;

(c) restraining the respondent or any of his relatives from entering any portion of the shared household in which the aggrieved person resides;

(d) restraining the respondent from alienating or disposing off the shared household or encumbering the same;

(e) restraining the respondent from renouncing his rights in the shared household except with the leave of the Magistrate; or

(f) directing the respondent to secure same level of alternate accommodation for the aggrieved person as enjoyed by her in the shared household or to pay rent for the same, if the circumstances so require :

Provided that no order under clause (b) shall be passed against any person who is a woman.

(2) The Magistrate may impose any additional conditions or pass any other direction which he may deem reasonably necessary to protect or to provide for the safety of the aggrieved person or any child of such aggrieved person.

(3) The Magistrate may require form the respondent to execute a bond, with or without sureties, for preventing the commission of domestic violence.

(4) An order under sub-section (3) shall be deemed to be an order under Chapter VIII of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974) and shall be dealt with accordingly.

(5) While passing an order under sub-section (1), sub-section (2) or sub-section (3), the court may also pass an order directing the officer in charge of the nearest police station to give protection to the aggrieved person or to assist her or the person making an application on her behalf in the implementation of the order.

(6) While making an order under sub-section (1), the Magistrate may impose on the respondent obligations relating to the discharge of rent and other payments, having regard to the financial needs and resources of the parties.

(7) The Magistrate may direct the officer-in-charge of the police station in whose jurisdiction the Magistrate has been approached to assist in the implementation of the protection order.

(8) The Magistrate may direct the respondent to return to the possession of the aggrieved person her stridhan or any other property or valuable security to which she is entitled to.”

Further, under Section 23 of the said Act, the Magistrate has the power to pass an interim order during the pendency of a complaint under the said Act, including an interim order in the nature of Section 19 as mentioned above. Section 23 is reproduced below:

23. Power to grant interim and ex parte orders.—(1) In any proceeding before him under this Act, the Magistrate may pass such interim order as he deems just and proper.

(2) If the Magistrate is satisfied that an application prima facie discloses that the respondent is committing, or has committed an act of domestic violence or that there is a likelihood that the respondent may commit an act of domestic violence, he may grant an ex parte order on the basis of the affidavit in such form, as may be prescribed, of the aggrieved person under Section 18, Section 19, Section 20, Section 21 or, as the case may be, Section 22 against the respondent.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Act in defence of collective domestic violence reported as violence
Refiling of DV after its dismissal
case u/s 12 (1) r/w 17,18,19,20, 21 & 22 of PWDVA of 2005
Maintenance and Loss of Earnings