Someone using my Internet login details to spread fake news on social media

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Someone using my Internet login details to spread fake news on social media

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had logged into my social account in the computer of a friend on one occasion to retrieve some urgent details. This was done with his consent. Now that friend is not in good terms with me and he is using same my login / password details to post some fake news and objectionable material on social network as if I have posted those posts. He is misusing my social account. What can I do in this regard? Can I take some action against him or to prevent him from doing so? Please reply urgently as it may create problems for me if he continues doing this for more time.

First of all, immediately change your password for the social account that is being misused by your friend. Use a strong password containing at least one uppercase or capital letter (such as A, B, C), at least one lowercase letter (such as a, b, c,), at least one number digit (such as 0, 1, 2, 3) and at least one special character (such as #, $, &, @).

This will ensure that he is not able to use your account henceforth.

Secondly, after changing password, login to your account and delete all the objectionable posts that your friend has posted in your account. If needed, also post an update mentioning that your social account had been hacked / abused by some other person and that now you have got control of your account.

Thirdly, if necessary, give a complaint to the police or other cyber law authorities in respect of personation and unauthorized use of your social account by your friend for taking criminal action against him.

And, next time, be cautious. Don’t use any other person’s device to login to your account. If you have to do it in an exceptional situation, ensure that you should log off from that device after your genuine work is done. Also delete cookies for that login from that device.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

False profile covered under Information Technology Act?