Service in Autonomous bodies

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My junior came to me with a doubt which i could not answer.

We are posted in Prasar Bharati, its an autonomous body under Ministry of Information anf Broadcasting. But its created by an act of parliament.
      He showed me his appointment letter, which says that

“You are an employee of prasar bharati and not a civil employee under central government as per clause 11(5) of prasar bharati act 1990.”

Now doubt is, what if pradar bharati shuts down?

He is recruited via all india competition as regular permanent employee of Prasar bharati.

Will he loose his job if prasar bharati is dissolved?

what are the status and job security in all the PSUs and autonomous bodie?

Prasar bharati is a loss making body so it will not last long for sure. Govt will take a call sooner or later.

Clarify the doubt please.

PS: my juniot id Group-A officer in Pay band 3, with 5400 grade pay.

Section 11(5) of the Prasar Bharti (Broadcasting Corporation of India) Act, 1990, says as under:

“(5) All officers and employees recruited after the 5th day of October, 2007 shall be officers and employees of the Corporation and shall be governed by such conditions of service as may be specified in the regulations.”

So, if you are recruited after the above date of 05.10.2007, then you’ll be an officer / employee of Prasar Bharti. Persons recruited before this date are considered as on deemed deputation to the Prasar Bharti.

So, this is a service condition and you would have joined the service consciously knowing about your status as being officer / employee of Prasar Bharti.

Being an employee of the Corporation, naturally he is in service as long as the Corporation survives. But, you should not worry. The Government is not expected to close down Prasar Bharti. Secondly, even if it shuts down (though unlikely) due to merger / sale to another corporation, the existing employees would be taken over the company with which it merges. Thirdly, whatever normal safeguards are available to an employee of a company would generally be available to you, including compensation in case of a shut down.

In any case, as far as I think, Prasar Bharti will not be closed down, even if it is a loss-making entity. It is supported fully by the Government for its exclusive publicity needs.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.