Removed from service for absence from duty for one month

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Removed from service for absence from duty for one month

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Due to some urgent reasons of sickness in the family I had to go out of station without taking leave from my officer and had to remain absent from duty for about a month. On return to duty, I made application for sanctioning leave for the absence. But my senior officers started a departmental enquiry against me and they have now removed me from service. I was under the impression that at the most my absence will be considered without pay leave or some minor penalty will be given. But the punishment of removal from service has made me unemployed and it is very harsh punishment after serving for 8 years in government service. What can I do to get this punishment challenged?

You will have to challenge your removal from service in the appropriate court or tribunal (such as in the Central Administrative Tribunal, if you are a central government employee).

On the face of it, the punishment of removal for an absence for a month appears to be harsh and disproportionate even if it be presumed that your misconduct was proved.

I may point out that in somewhat similar circumstances (though not exactly the same circumstances), in the case of Ashok Kumar v. Union of India, (2009) 17 SCC 481, the Supreme Court has held that:

“…the punishment imposed is grossly disproportionate to the charge which was to the effect that the appellant had absented himself from duty for three days without leave. For the same, the punishment of termination of service was certainly not at all warranted. … Taking into consideration all the aspects which are available before us we set aside the impugned order of termination of service and in its place a punishment of censure to be entered in the service record be substituted.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.