Regarding blank signed sheets given to advocate

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Regarding blank signed sheets given to advocate

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Dear Sir,
      My previous lawyer got four legal size blank papers signed by me for purpose of case. Two of these papers got used for filing affidavit and petition. I asked him to return rest of two legal size blank sheets to me. Now he is giving different reasons to not return them which is making me loose my confidence in him. Once he is saying that he lost them & another time he said I gave him two and not four of those blank sheets signed by me. I am afraid that he might handover those blank legal size sheets signed by me to the opposite party and they may use it illegally against me. I realize that made mistake by signing blank sheets by trusting my lawyer. I am worried. My queries are:
      How to handle this situation and prevent damage to myself from this mistake of mine?
      Can opposite party use those blank signed sheets to fraudulently get divorce (mutual consent or contested) from me in Court?
      Please advice.

If your advocate is not returning the blank signed papers on one or other excuse, it may be difficult to recover them from him. These things are generally done by people in trust (i.e., signing blank papers), which are avoidable, and once the trust is lost, they may sometimes create future problems. Even for a valid and legal purpose also, it may not be advisable to sign on blank paper, since one is supposed to read the full contents before signing. At this stage, if possible, at least you can try to put it on record that he has some blank signed papers from you, by recording conversation or by writing to him.

Generally speaking, it would not be possible for the opposite party to get divorce on the basis of mutual consent or otherwise by using these blank signed papers. For mutual consent divorce, there is always the second motion which takes places after six months and you have to remain present in court; so, you can always deny. Even for contested divorce, you can always deny that you gave any such reply which may be falsely attributed to you.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.