Legal job in a company after enrolling as advocate

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Legal job in a company after enrolling as advocate

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have recently passed the LL.B. examination. At present, I am working in a bank as a clerk. Now I am thinking of leaving the bank job and getting enrolled as an advocate with a state bar council. My question is if I enroll as advocate then after that can I do only practice in law? What happens if I do not have good practice and not able to earn some money? Can I join a private legal job then in a company even after enrolling as advocate? Please guide me sir.

Once you have enrolled as an advocate with a state bar council, you are allowed to practice law; but, simultaneously, you are not allowed to indulge in any other business or profession during your law practice. Thereafter, if you want to join any legal job with a company (after getting enrolled as advocate), you can do so by formally suspending your practice. For this purpose, you may have to intimate the state bar council in the prescribed format of your intention to suspend your law practice, pay some nominal prescribed fee. Once you do this, you are allowed to suspend your law practice and join a job in some company or do business, etc., whatever you wish. Subsequently, in future, if you change your mind again and want to start the law practice again, you may revoke the suspension of your law practice in future and start the law practice again by quitting such job or business, and applying in the prescribed format to the state bar council for resumption of your practice.

Remember that if you want to join any law firm as their associate or junior (and not some other company or some other job or business), you may not even have to formally suspend your practice. In this situation, they may show you as a retainer and you can continue to be enrolled as an advocate while being with such law firm.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Cheque bounce - want to fight own case by discontinuing advocate
Inaction by Chief Judicial Magistrate for forcing to engage lawyer
Can an arrested person be enrolled as Advocate in U.P. Bar Council
For starting law firm of partners, is it necessary that both partners be lawyers