Is it possible to grant Decree on the day of first evidence in the MCD

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Is it possible to grant Decree on the day of first evidence in the MCD

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Naga Telu

Me and my wife planning for MCD(Mutual consent Divorce), she filed IPC 498a on 03/2013 and MC on 06/2013. Then i have filed divorce under Sec.13 (1) (ia)in family court on 02/2014. Recently we came for compromise, i agreed to pay Z amount as full and final settlement.
      we have applied for convert existing divorce under Sec.13 (1) (ia) to 13 B under MCD and request to waive of cooling of period 6 months time. This petition has been allowed in family court .

1. Wife/Lawyer forcing to me to pay full amount on first day of joint petition, it is safe ?
      2. My Lawyer telling that decree will be passed on first day of joint petition , because family court already waived of cooling of period 6 months time through amendment petition. is it possible ” decree will be passed on first day of joint petition “?
      3.is it safe to withdraw all pending cases including 498A before the order of decree passed ?
      4.Can i pay “full and final settlement” amount in two terms ?, please suggest me on this

Thanks
      Naga

As per the provisions of Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, in the case of divorce by mutual consent, a minimum of 6 months’ period is necessary for passing the decree of divorce after the filing of the mutual consent petition. However, you have mentioned that you had earlier filed a divorce petition and the family court has already converted your existing divorce petition into a mutual consent petition and also that the family court has already passed order waiving the said period of 6 months. If that be the case, then it should generally be possible for the decree of divorce being passed on the next date; of course, it may depend on the discretion of the court.

Whether you should pay the full settlement amount on the first date in one instalment or whether it should be paid in two instalments, will depend on the terms of your agreement with your wife. It is for both the parties to agree, also depending upon your level of mutual trust and confidence. There is no hard and fast rule as to whether it is safe to pay the amount in one instalment in advance; it is not a question of law; it is a question of your mutual trust.

Similarly, the question whether or not all pending cases should be withdrawn before the decree of divorce is passed, will depend on your terms of agreement and mutual trust. It is not a question of law. In any case, in your matter, you have filed only one case (divorce petition) which has already been converted into mutual consent petition for divorce (as you have mentioned), which means this needs no withdrawal; other two cases are filed by your opposite party and if they are withdrawn before the decree of divorce is passed, you’ll not lose anything and will rather benefit.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Naga Telu

Thank you so much sir for your valuable responses.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.