Illegal detention (Production warrant) even though already on bail

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Constitutional Law Illegal detention (Production warrant) even though already on bail

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      appla raju

Dear sir, One of my friend was in jail from past 9 months under 125(3) recovery proceeding. There was order of his releasing from the jail by family judge on 30/11/2018 but the jailor didn’t release him on specified date. Jailor argued that because there is production warrant for him dated 04/12/2018 he not be released and denied his release from jail. Here i want to mention that he is already on bail regarding that case. Please provide me help regarding is my friend was in illegal detention

Section 269(c) of the Criminal Procedure Code clearly provides that where the person in respect of whom an order is made under Section 267 (i.e., production warrant) is in custody for a period which would expire before the expiration of the time required for complying with the order and for taking him back to the prison in which he is confined or detained; the officer in charge of the prison shall abstain from carrying out the Court’s order and shall send to the Court a statement of reasons for so abstaining.

In view of this, if your friend is already on bail in one case and in the other case he has been ordered to be released from custody, then it is not correct on the part of the jailer to refuse to release him only on the ground that there is a production warrant in the first case. In such a situation, the aforesaid legal provision under Section 269(c) Cr.P.C. will come into play and the jailer need not comply with the production warrant and can send a statement to the court about the fact that his custody has already expired. And, your friend could have been released from custody (if there was no other custody order, as you appear to be suggesting). In such situation, the detention may amount to illegal detention.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The Question ‘Illegal detention (Production warrant) even though already on bail’ is closed to new replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?