Filing non-cognizable offence report with police and getting acknowledgement

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Filing non-cognizable offence report with police and getting acknowledgement

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am having a problem with my husband for last many days. He has been harassing me. I want to file a report against him to the police. However, I do not want to completely spoil my relationship with him by filing case under Section 498A IPC which may lead to his arrest by police. I only want to file a non-cognizable offence report with the police at this stage, so that my complaint remains on police record without harming my husband unnecessarily at this stage. Will the police give me acknowledgement of a complaint if I file such non-cognizable offence report?

Yes, it is possible to file a non-cognizable offence report with the police. You can specifically request the police to not register any FIR and give your complaint in such a manner that its ingredients are only those of non-cognizable offence. A police station usually maintains an NCR register (Non-Cognizable Report Register) in which they record the complaints received by them which disclose non-cognizable offences. The police officer concerned will give you the serial number in this register against which your complaint has been recorded.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

When police illegally registers FIR against and arrests a person
Can case under section 353,332,42,431,504,506 IPC be quashed?
How to get a copy of FIR when the accused is not yet arrested?
Elaborate example of FIR in a cross case