Expediting a trial case on ground of accused being senior citizen

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Expediting a trial case on ground of accused being senior citizen

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

A case has been charge sheeted against me by police and it is now pending in trial court for last 4 years or so. I am a senior citizen of about 68 years. Can I request the court to expedite the trial of the case on the ground that I am a senior citizen suffering from medical problems, because the court is not giving any time to this case.

No doubt, you can request the trial court to expedite your trial on the ground of you being a senior citizen. And, most likely, the court may even accept such request and make efforts to expedite your case.

However, in actual practice, it may or may not help. This is for the simple reason that there is a large pendency in Indian courts and there are a large number of cases involving senior citizens also. Therefore, it all depends on the number of pending cases before a trial court. Sometimes, even though the trial court agrees to expedite your case, it may not be of much help in view of a large number of pending cases, including cases involving other senior citizens. It may be beyond the control of the court itself. But, there is no harm in trying.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.