Domestic violence case by mother-in-law against daughter-in-law

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Domestic violence case by mother-in-law against daughter-in-law

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. Ashok Dhamija Dr. Ashok Dhamija 9 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #3793


    My brother had got married in January 2017. My brother and his wife stays with my mother in her house in Allahabad. I and my wife stay in UK. This month when I came back from UK, my brother and my mother told me that my sister-in-law(brother’s wife) beats and tortures my mother. Can she file a domestic violence case against her? What all other legal remedies do I have?

  • #3797

    Firstly, please note that, as I have replied in detail to an earlier question (Can mother file domestic violence case against son and daughter in law?), it is possible under law for a mother-in-law to file case against her daughter-in-law under the provisions of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act if the facts of the case support such a case. Therefore, technically, it is possible for your mother to file a case under the above Act against your sister-in-law.

    Secondly, your mother can also file a case under the relevant provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for the beating / torture, as mentioned by you in your question. Depending on detailed facts of the case, if a cognizable offence is made out, you can file the complaint / FIR with the police station, otherwise a private complaint case can be filed with the Magistrate court.


    Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook Comments