Do I have right to defend my own case in court without lawyer?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Do I have right to defend my own case in court without lawyer?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Sir,
      Where i see this right in law tel me the book of law in refrence
      When i afear in court judge object me what i show to him?

Yes, it is your right to appear in person in your own case. Every person has the basic right to defend or pursue his own case.

For example, Rule 1 of Order III of the Civil Procedure Code 1908 lays down as under:

“1. Appearances, etc., may be in person, by recognised agent or by pleader.— Any appearance, application or act in or to any Court, required or authorised by law to be made or done by a party in such Court, may, except where otherwise expressly provided by any law for the time being in force, be made or done by the party in person, or by his recognised agent, or by a pleader appearing, applying or acting, as the case may be, on his behalf:

Provided that any such appearance shall, if the Court so directs, be made by the party in person.”

This rule clearly shows that a person can himself appear in the case, i.e., the party in person (I have highlighted the relevant part in above rule).     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Sir,
      Thank you alot for your assistent

Sir,
      I belong to pakistan are the laws same of pk and india? And have i appeare in court both type of casies civil and criminal in person?
      Thank you.

My email= bari9917@gmail.com

Though I have not read the Pakistan laws, but as far as I understand the laws of India and Pakistan are similar.

The Civil Procedure Code, 1908, from which I have quoted in my previous reply, is a law that existed in United India prior to partition, i.e., before Pakistan was created. As far as my understanding goes, most of pre-independence laws are applicable in Pakistan, though their names might have been changed. So, in all likelihood, the legal provision which I have quoted would also be applicable in Pakistan also. However, please confirm it from some lawyer in Pakistan.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Sir,
      Thank you alot

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.