Divorce on mutual concerns(Speacial act)

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Divorce on mutual concerns(Speacial act)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Dear sir
      As me and my husband both are not happy after marriage because my husband ignorining me, giving more importance to his friend who take major decisions of our life and not willing to have children and he himself expressed that he is not able to take care of me financially so i want to quit his realation n live on my own and also adopt any child ca you please suggest us the procedures

For divorce on mutual consent under the Special Marriage Act (as mentioned in the title of your question), both of you will have to file a mutual consent divorce petition in the Family Court under Section 28 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954, which is as under:

28. Divorce by mutual consent.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and to the rules made thereunder, a petition for divorce may be presented to the district court by both the parties together on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

(2) On the motion of both the parties made not earlier than six months after the date of the presentation of the petition referred to in sub-section (1) and not later than eighteen months after the said date, if the petition is not withdrawn in the meantime, the district court shall, on being satisfied, after hearing the parties and after making such inquiry as it thinks fit, that a marriage has been solemnized under this Act, and that the averments in the petition are true, pass a decree declaring the marriage to be dissolved with effect from the date of the decree.”

Please consult some local lawyer of your area for the detailed procedure.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.