Divorce after 15 days of marriage

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Divorce after 15 days of marriage

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      v kumar

Dear Dhamija Sir,
      I got married on dt.11/11/16 after 15 days of marriage (including honeymoon of 5 days) my wife refuse to live with me at my home and ask for rent a house in her mother’s house location by saying your location is not suitable for me. from last 23rd of Nov.2016 she is living with her mother, her father is passed away 5 years back and she has one younger sister no brother. and most importantly she did not allowed me for sex during 15 days even she didn’t allow me to see her without clothes in light.
      now she is threatening, saying she can do so many things and i will be in trouble.

Sir please guide me what can i do as my parents will be very helpless without me.

Regards,
      Vipin Kumar

As per Section 14 of the Hindu Marriage Act, a divorce petition cannot be filed before elapsing of one year from the date of marriage. In your case, this rule will come in play.
      However, Section 14 further provides that if the High Court has made rules in that behalf for presentation of divorce petition before one year period is over, then in exceptional cases a divorce petition may be allowed to be presented in accordance with such rules made by the High Court, on the ground that the case is one of exceptional hardship to the petitioner or of exceptional depravity on the part of the respondent.
      So, you will have to check from your state whether the high court in your area has made any such rules. And, even in such a case, you’ll have to show that it is a case of exceptional hardship to you, etc., if you want to file the divorce petition within one year of marriage.
      Another option before you is to file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, which is basically for uniting the couple when one partner has deserted without any reasonable excuse.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

hello sir pls tall me, my dv 2005 case is runing in court, i have a evidence is my wife mobile phone, in msg for her x bf and chating for leav me and after 1 yr, and her whtsapp chating she is her open photograf to send his bf, so i have evidence to i proov she is adultration and i put a her 2 mobile phone in court, so problme is judge sir talk me some judgement find out and put a court, to her mobile phone is send FSL.. so pls help me sir some judgement to related my case,, i thanx full to u my call no. is 9909986699.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.