Difference between affidavit made on a stamp paper and one made on a plane paper

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Others Difference between affidavit made on a stamp paper and one made on a plane paper

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Respected Sir,

I have the following doubts regarding affidavit:-

1. Is there any difference between an affidavit signed by notary and oath commissioner?
      2. Does an affidavit compulsorily have to be on a stamp paper ( why in courts, its accepted in plane paper?)

It depends on the usage of the affidavit and/or the authority before which it is to be filed. At some places (such as in some high courts), it is insisted that the affidavit should be signed before the oath commissioner, whereas at some other places (such as in Supreme Court) affidavit signed before a notary may also be accepted. In CAT, an affidavit signed before a normal advocate (who may not be a notary) may also be accepted. So, please refer to the guidelines of the concerned authority where you want to file the affidavit and then prepare the affidavit accordingly as per the requirements.

Affidavit on a plain paper may also be accepted, provided it is properly stamped, i.e., provided stamps of proper value are affixed on it.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Can a non judicial affidavit be attested by an oath commissioner. I am basically trying to avoid the hefty commission charged by notary.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Others’ is closed to new Questions and replies.