Cognizance in cheque bounce without examining complainant on oath

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Cognizance in cheque bounce without examining complainant on oath

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

In the case of my client, the Magistrate has directly taken cognizance of the complaint of cheque bounce under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, without first examining the complainant on oath or solemn affirmation. Section 200 of CrPC provides that a Magistrate taking cognizance of an offence on complaint shall examine upon oath the complainant and the witnesses present, if any, and the substance of such examination shall be reduced to writing and shall be signed by the complainant and the witnesses, and also by the Magistrate.

So, please guide whether in the case of my client, cognizance has been correctly taken by the Magistrate without first following the procedure laid down in Section 200 of the criminal procedure code? Can I challenge it in high court under Section 482 CrPC on behalf of my client for quashing of the case?

Please note that the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881, contains the following important provision in Section 145, which is as under:

145. Evidence on affidavit.—(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), the evidence of the complainant may be given by him on affidavit and may, subject to all just exceptions be read in evidence in any enquiry, trial or other proceeding under the said Code.

(2) The court may, if it thinks fit, and shall, on the application of the prosecution or the accused, summon and examine any person giving evidence on affidavit as to the facts contained therein.”

Section 145 of the N.I. Act starts with a non-obstante clause, i.e., “Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure…”. With regard to this, in the case of K.S Joseph v. Philips Carbon Black Ltd., (2016) 11 SCC 105 : AIR 2016 SC 2149, the Supreme has held that this non-obstante clause in sub-section (1) of Section 145 is self-explanatory and overrules the requirement of examination of the complainant on solemn affirmation under Section 200 Cr.P.C. The Supreme Court held that the complainant in a cheque bounce case is entitled to give his evidence on affidavit and subject to all just exceptions, the same has to be read in evidence in any enquiry, trial or other proceeding under Cr.P.C.

In view of the above reasons, there is no need for the magistrate to first record the statement of the complainant on oath in a cheque bounce case under Section 200 Cr.P.C. at the time of taking cognizance of such case. The complainant’s evidence can be obtained in the form of affidavit, as mentioned above.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Dishonor of cheque for which the liability is cleared by other payment mode
Cheque bounce case under 138 NI act - Interim Relief of 20%
The drawer has given stop payment and also is denying the signature on the check
What are the stages of trial of a case U/s 138 of NI Act?